I
realised I needed more space when the Halloween pumpkins started
strangling our currants. I also knew that I would not want to make a
choice between the two. We've got a good-sized garden with an old
pear tree at the bottom, a russet apple tree, a Marjorie's Seedling
plum tree and two birches. It's bisected by a gently curving strip of
lawn. When we took over the house some years ago, the garden was a
large square lawn with slim flowerbeds along the side where, we were
told, the previous owners used to plonk all the roses they ever got given.
Now
that we've had a go, it's a lush jungle of planned and
accidental plants, one workshop/studio, a tool shed, a bark-covered
woodland bit, a wood pile, a nettle patch, a pond, a sun-facing
kitchen garden plus a Goth garden with black and red shade-lovers.
In
the kitchen garden and in pots on the patio we grow herbs such as
thyme, which grows wild in the concrete and brick cracks on the patio,
wild rocket (also by happy accident), basil, chives, tarragon,
rosemary and oregano, then spinach, broccoli, accidental tomatoes,
courgettes, Halloween pumpkins, sweetcorn, strawberries, raspberries,
red- and blackcurrants, blueberries and gooseberries. Accidental
tomatoes are those that come up by themselves because they were
spread via our home-made compost. When it comes to making compost, we
do everything wrong and our resident rat colony thanks us by turning
everything over in the compost dalek. In return we always knock politely before taking off the
dalek lid and putting our kitchen waste in. Rizzo and his mates
always leave a tidy pile of crumbling soil at the top of the compost
heap, and I resolved long ago to keep quiet about their presence. Our
plants thank us by growing as if they're bonkers. And we have tomato
seedlings popping up like weeds all over the beds.
There
is also now a small greenhouse that OH built last year out of scrap.
Our neighbour P is a self-employed builder who provides us
with a steady supply of free stuff that I declare useful and drag
onto our property before badgering OH to do something useful with it.
Normally he tells me to go away and just burn it but this time he
built a kick-ass greenhouse for his chilli seedlings.
However,
during the course of the summer of 2010 it became clear to me that I
was running out of room. I could probably have ripped up the
remaining bit of lawn to make room for more beds but I quite like the
lawn and the current meandering layout. I am thinking big; I want an allotment.
Crucially,
I am and have always been susceptible to economic doomsday scenarios,
which range from losing my job and not getting another to runaway
inflation to serial bank failures and a mass collapse of supply
chains, looted supermarket shelves, raided depots, foraging in the woods,
trapping squirrels etc. There is probably a psychological reason for
why, ever since I was quite a small child, I have entertained visions
of lone self-sufficiency and grim-faced survivalism. What shook me
the most about the Great Crisis of 2008 was the admission, by rather
too senior figures in the then government, of quite how close
Britain, and indeed the whole of the Western world, had been to a
catastrophic scenario whereby people could no longer access their
digital money to buy their daily necessities. And the problems have
not been sorted out and could happen all over again.
An allotment, my (muddled, hopelessly naive) thinking goes, can at least theoretically provide an element of food security
and can reduce our weekly and by now really infuriatingly high
supermarket bills. Relying more on allotment produce means planning
meals around roots and vegetables rather than slabs of meat. It would force me
to do more cooking from fresh, i.e. spend less time thinking and
worrying about work. It would also force me out into the fresh air on
a fairly regular basis and provide me with hours of free exercise,
saving me stupid gym membership fees and preventing me from reading right-wing finance blogs. Allotmenteering is a relaxing pastime and
gets me away from the house. And it means that despite the
essentially solitary nature of allotment gardening, I have to
interact, and occasionally co-operate, with other people. Those who
know me may be surprised to hear that this does not come easily to
me. My job requires me to talk all day and every day but my default
mode is hermit.
As hobbies go, allotmenteering comes with tons of benefits. So I want
one. Now. Where can I get one?
OH has listened to all of this and has, as he does as a matter
of principle when it comes to anything I suggest, found tons of
reasons for why my idea, like so many others, is no good. I usually rate his judgement very highly but on this occasion, I decide not to give
a flying feather about what he thinks and I go ahead anyway. If he wants to tag along, he can. If not, he can stay at home
and do other stuff.
In
the late summer of 2010 I phone our nearest site, a privately-managed
ex-council one near a small river and only five minutes away from our
house on foot. It's ideal. I learn that there is a waiting list. The
older gentleman who runs the site tells me they charge plotholders £15 pounds a year.
I think I've misheard but when he repeats it, one-five, I am
absolutely thrilled. I want a plot there! Now! When can I take over? He says there are some
plots which haven't been farmed that year so he'll send out some
reminder letters and see what happens.
I
wait a few months and phone him again in October. Was there any news
regarding a plot vacancy? It takes him a while to remember who I am.
A couple more weeks later he rings us again. A young guy who had been
farming four plots (four!) had been caring for his mum, who had
cancer, and who was unable to farm the fourth one properly and was
prepared to give it up. Bless him! He leaves us all the strawberries,
raspberries and rhubarb roots, already dug up. He takes the Brussels
sprouts. I don't care for sprouts so I think that's an excellent
deal.(Sadly, his mum died,.)
OH,
who had naturally taken a bit of a backseat during the scouting and
acquisition stage, is now as excited as I am and is “all in
allotment”. The plot feels huge to us – “10 rods”, says the
allotment secretary, which makes me think of druids, cider and pitchfork-studded mansion raids at dawn. It's only 300 square
metres – and it's full of weeds and rubbish but it has masses of
sun, is a little bit off the main track and I can already see what we
can grow. Excellent times ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment