Really, really pleased with the second batch of shrimp stock (Krabbenfond) I've made. This time I used less water and more gin, Federweisser and lovage leaves (Liebstoeckel): very intense, very seafoody. I used some of it to soften the leftover boiled potatoes for a ravioli filling, gathered some perpetual spinach and boiled that down. Put it all in a bowl together with some rye bread croutons (to bulk it up, and for extra salt) and quark (instead of ricotta) and used the puree stick on it. Made a nice thick green filling.
For the ravioli, I used 200g flour and 2 eggs plus quite a bit of fine semolina to make it less sticky. That got me 32 ravioli -- far too many for the two of us so there were another 2 portions left for freezing. Rolled out the dough, filled it with the green stuff and a pinch full of brown shrimp (the ones that came straight off a trawler).
Cooked these in shrimp stock while frying some sage leaves from the garden in butter. Ran out into the front garden and harvested some wild rocket from between the cracks, washed that, picked it. Lifted the cooked ravioli from the stock and drained them. Added the sage and the rocket and grated some mature cheddar over it all. For OH, the whole thing was a little too intense (he's not that much of a seafood person) but I added some more shrimp stock to my bowl. I thought it was heavenly. Definitely make this again.
OH has announced a seafood paella with the remaining shrimp stock this weekend. Olé!
No comments:
Post a Comment