Pages

Saturday, 1 January 2011

Sowing the seeds of disorder


We need to decide what we actually want to grow. I go wide-eyed at online seed catalogues – and blanch at the prices. T and M's are OH's preferred supplier whereas I plumb for an online outfit that sends the seeds in little plastic bags of the type police would wave around in drug education classes. OH gets us white onions, red onions and two types of potatoes, International Kidney and Duke of York for earlies and Golden Wonder as autumn spuds plus broad beans and sweetcorn.

I order Waltham Butternut squash, King of May lettuce, Radicchio, Marketmore cucumbers, parsnips, borage, sweetpeas, lupins for colour and nitrogen-fixing, rainbow-coloured chard “Bright Lights”, normal chard, perpetual spinach, basil, parsley, peas “Kelvedon”, radishes, broccoli, red cabbage, yellow courgettes, carrots... We're hopeless, really, we're making every mistake that a new allotmenteer can make but we just can't help ourselves.

On New Year's Eve, we think excitedly about our allotment and what we will all grow on it in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment