Our apple month, but we don't know that yet.
Two
friends, D and M, have kindly invited me over to harvest their one apple tree.
No idea what type their apples are but they're small, red and a bit
tart, mainly because the tree hasn't been pruned in probably five
years. It turns out the tree yields a little over my body weight in
apples and I arrive home with one massive suitcase filled plus
several bags. What to do? Perhaps I should have thought of this
before?
I scout around online
for scratting and juicing equipment. At the volume we're looking at,
electric kitchen-top juicers are out – the feeder is too small and
in any case, our previous juicer, a Kenwood, split and leaked after
only a year or so in use (just out of warranty – thank you,
Kenwood). Semi-commercial scratter-and-press combos retail at well
over £500 – this amount would keep us in Sandringham's Royal Fruit
Farm Organic for a year, so that's a no.
On the internet, I
discover that it's possible to scrat apples using just a
top-and-side-loading garden shredder, and as ours is on its way out
and not shredding an awful lot these days, I decide to risk it
blowing up. I spend one entire Sunday cleaning the shredder while OH
has sourced online instructions for a DIY apple press and has gone
off to Wickes to buy wood. He sets up his workshop in the driveway,
soon joined by P, our neighbour, who is a builder, Sunday-bored, and
very intrigued.
While the boys scratch
heads and saw and hammer, I cut up D's and M's apples and send them
through the shredder. It works beautifully. The pomace ends up
underneath on a clean potting tray and I fill it into an old pillow
case. I ruin my left elbow squeezing and twisting the juice out of
it, but I don't notice it until later. What I do know is that I've
just made my first fresh apple juice, and I am hooked. The cider
press in the driveway is taking shape and is road-tested on some
pomace a few minutes later. The first pressing of some of our
friends' apples yields 10 litres of which OH uses 5 litres for his
first cider.
By now I've also
discovered online how to make apple juice so that it looks good and
keeps – the secret is Vitamin C powder and pasteurisation. I get an
obscenely expensive jar of Vitamin C powder off Holland and Barretts
and earlier in the year I'd sourced some beer-making equipment off a
local Cheapcycler who also gave me a crate of fump bottles. They're
not really called that; they're swingtop bottles, but “fump” is
the sound they make when you open them so that's what I will always
call them. I'd kept the crate in the attic but I really should have
cleaned them properly there and then. When I finally inspect them,
they're quite ripe. The guy had said he'd sterilised them all, and he
may well have done so, but after 7 months in a boiling attic, the
sterilising liquid has now turned brown and solid in places. It's a
job cleaning them all, and the new bottle brush isn't quite up to
the job. However, I do manage to clean enough bottles in near-boiling
water for sterilising 5 litres of Vitamin-C'ed apple juice.
For this, I fill the
bottles with the juice and plop them in the maslin pan with enough
water and bring the water to the boil. With a thermometer that came
with the Cheapcycle deal, I check frequently. The apple juice has to
reach a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius and keep that for about 30
mins. It's terribly exciting, better than watching telly. Because the
juice wasn't really filtered, there's all kinds of stuff floating to
the top of the bottle. I dip my little finger in one of the bottles
to taste it – if it's disgusting scummy scum, I'll have to skim it
off but if it's just appley solids, they're staying. They turn out to
be very tasty appley solids, but I've also now blown the
pasteurisation of one of the bottles by contaminating it with the tip
of my finger that's no doubt crawling with death-dealing bacteria. I
will have to watch that bottle extra well.
Eventually, after more
than half an hour, I decide to finish the bottling. Half an hour was
probably overkill because I then read on another website that if you
ratchet up the heat to 85 degrees, which I had done by accident, you
can stop pasteurising after less than half an hour. But then again, I
like to play safe, and while I've ingested some seriously deranged
material in my time, I am afraid of botulism. Now that I know what it
is, I am surprised it hasn't killed me yet. I close the swing tops
and lift the bottles out of the hot water. Holding the hot bottle
with oven gloves, I shake them well to make sure the appley solids
don't block up the bottleneck, and then turn them upside down and
plonk them back in their crate. They'll stay that way, sterilising
the underside of the bottletops, until they've cooled.

No comments:
Post a Comment