I ordered a garden cart to save us from either having to ruin OH's car scraping past the allotment hedges or having to carry everything on our shoulders.
It has
finally arrived and we put it together on Friday evening. It's a green rattly
thing, apparently designed to carry a load of 300kg, but I doubt that
very much. I had to work Sat morning so fled into the garden as soon
as I could. OH followed me – he too had a very busy week at work. I
dug out 14 paving slabs we had used as paths and bed edging and that
were now obsolete. They dry off a bit overnight and on Sunday
morning, I load up the cart with 10 slabs and trundle off down the
street. I am wearing my ancient Ecuadorian Pachamama roughknit that
is now more darn than original wool. It makes me look like Michelin
Woman. I run into quite a few neighbours on the way, all of whom
smile indulgently and just ask “Allotment?” Oh yes.
The cart survives its
maiden voyage very well.
I offload the slabs and load up the cart with 3 sacks of allotment plastic rubbish and trundle back, stopping for chats with the old boys along the way. I have almost reached home when OH turns the corner – he's been to B&Q's for bark and compost.
I offload the slabs and load up the cart with 3 sacks of allotment plastic rubbish and trundle back, stopping for chats with the old boys along the way. I have almost reached home when OH turns the corner – he's been to B&Q's for bark and compost.
P, our neighbour, is
also out in the driveway setting up his sawhorse. He admires my new
toy. We have a job cheering him up. A smoker for most of his life, P
has now finally given up the fags and has managed to stick with it
for several months now. But he is ever so miserable and complains
about weight gain (which only he can see). OH appropriates my cart
and rolls the 6 sacks of bark through into our garden. The bark is
for Catshit Alley, a short bit of bark-covered path running between
our two birches that is in urgent need of topping up.
OH and I tackle the
Garden Spring Prune: the other neighbour's jungly jasmine, our
rampant fig tree, the leylandii hedge. I find it funny that OH mocked
me for buying so much pruning and chopping gear the other week (I
paid for it!), only for him to appropriate the heavy-duty lopper and
totally barber the fig tree (“This is brilliant!”). I have a go
at the big hedge, trying the electric two-hand hedgecutter for the
first time.
OH uses up allotment
kale and potatoes and duck stock from the freezer for a warming
hotpot.

No comments:
Post a Comment