Still have sacks of
potatoes in the attic and under the stairs. What to do with them? Too
much fried food is bad for the figure. I discover a “rustic potato
bread” recipe on a German website. We eat a lot of bread, and I
want to save some money avoiding the overpriced work canteen and
bring my own lunch.
The bread is
essentially made of same amount of boiled potatoes and flour, e.g.
700g of potatoes and 700g bread flour, mixed with 2 tablespoons of
oil. Our tatties tend to liquefy on boiling – they do that this
year up and down the country, we've found out – so I try
microwaving them on the second attempt. The yeast mixture is made out
of potato water, 1 teaspoon of yeast with about 120g of water, but in
truth, it doesn't matter that much as long as the potato-flour ratio
is alright and the dough with the starter yeast mixture doesn't end
up too wet and sticky. Salt to taste. You need to let it rise twice.
I plain forgot to bake the second bread one night and it therefore
rose overnight. Then I stupidly thought OH would bake it but he had
other things to do during the day, and I hadn't bothered to actually
tell him what I wanted. So the thing had a chance to rise for almost
24 hours before it got knocked back and baked. It resulted in a
really nice sweet and sour taste, and the texture was as brilliant as
ever, soft but firm and springy, with a good sour crust. The crust is
achieved by putting a smaller baking tray full of water underneath
the bread as it bakes. The moisture does it.
With the second bread,
I also added a tablespoon each of crushed cumin and caraway seed.
Makes for better digestibility.
OH loves the bread too
so it is now very likely that we'll munch our way through our
potatoes after all, before they sprout or go funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment