Our driveway is full of wood. Again! This is how it happened:
This morning, on the way to work, I saw some guys from a maintenance company felling trees, not massive ones, about 20-25in in diameter. They had felled two already and were busy on the third. A fourth one was being prepared. I went up to one of the men who looked like a supervisor and introduced myself, told him we had a woodburner and was the wood cut today available to buy? Well, he said, we don't really need it. Do you want it?
And that is how we ended up with another 2 cubic metres of tree trunks delivered to our driveway for a little less than the price of a crate of Erdinger Urweisse. I call that a deal.
It's greenwood, maple I think, and I reckon I'll be spending at least two full afternoons sawing this lot by hand to get the logs to the size where I can split them with my new wood grenade. This will be wood we should be able to burn next winter. We're doing pretty well, I'd say. So far we've amassed 4 cubic metres of greenwood in total, coppiced and, well, foraged I suppose you could call today's stunt of mine. It's the equivalent of nearly 4 months' winter heating, for the sum total of £20. I could crow about this all day. If we can get 2 or 3 more out of the woods, we're completely sorted for 2013/14.
No comments:
Post a Comment