Pages

Saturday, 1 December 2012

Living Like Kings: today -- Christmas wine shopping

Am feeling like a million dollars right now because I've managed to drag a real bargain home. Wine foraging for Christmas and New Year is one of my annual pleasures. My tastes are expensive so I shall simply adjust my consumption: I'd rather not drink anything at all but really splash out on special occasions (a weekend is a special occasion in my dictionary).

We got an ALDI leaflet through the door yesterday that was advertising a Sancerre Domaine La Gemiere Tradition 2011 for £8.99. You don't get Sancerres for under a tenner in this country unless there's a promotion. Majestic had one on a while back for £8.99 but I'd missed that. "That's it," I said to OH, "I'm going wine foraging today." Our branch is just fifteen minutes round our house on foot so I strapped myself into my hiking backpack (40 litres) and set off towards ALDI (doesn't the name just roll off your tongue? ALDI...)

It's amazing what this recession is doing to formerly tribal shopping behaviour -- I have never seen so many middle class people in a discount supermarket before, and most of them were flapping round the wine racks hoovering up the Chablises and Barolos and Haut-Medocs with both arms. I had arrived just in time and pulled out 4 bottles of the above Sancerre from a rapidly dwindling stack and threw in another two of a Pouilly Fumé Henri de Lorgère 2011 for £7.99 each before racing my trolley to the till. OH would have been proud of me.

Now, before all daylight disappears completely, I shall go outside and chop some more wood from the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment