Pages

Sunday, 26 June 2011

Gardeners' World


Been watching Gardeners World recently. And I don't know how to put this but... at the moment, glutin-voiced Carol Klein just gets on my nerves.

I can't explain my antipathy rationally and feel very childish and unsisterly, especially since I was on Team Carol when the BBC denied her the lead presentership in Gardener's World some years ago. Shovelling Carol Klein out of the way for her former researcher Toby Buckland whose garden looked frazzled compared to Carol's glamorous Glebe Cottage was a shit thing to do. Classic BBC: ageist AND sexist. She's clearly on top of her stuff, presents enthusiastically and is particularly suited for the experienced gardener with whom she trades plants' Latin names, names that frankly freak me out. 

Maybe that's why I struggle to warm to her presenting style. I'm an amateur. She's a pro. She'll take one look at all the bare spaces on my allotment and take me to a garden centre and clean my current account right out.

No comments:

Post a Comment