Pages

Friday, 23 March 2012

Painting the shed


Lovely light and warm spring evening. Painted the first 2 walls of shed in pastel green.


Kids on our friends' plot down the path happily burn stuff. Plot neighbour, he of the tattered England flag flying from his shed, complains about the kids and suspects them of nicking gear. OH and I put a stop to this talk – the kids are alright. They're clearly working the plot, there's a little pond and beds have been dug over. What we don't say to him is this: seriously, mate, who keeps a rotavator and similar expensive gear in a lightly secured allotment shed? I know I'm being smug and am implicitly blaming the victim but for once I am pleased and proud that our plot and shed are totally open-access – anyone can wander onto it – and looking dirt-poor. No-one would suspect us of keeping anything expensive in our area, and in case anyone wants to check, they can simply open the latch to our door and have a look. Ironically, nothing we kept in there ever got stolen and there are a couple of garden implements that might be fenced successfully at a car boot.

I suppose what would upset me if people raided the plots for produce. If food prices keep going up, this may happen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment