Pages

Sunday, 30 September 2012

Quiched out, and now the fridge-freezer is on the blink

Spent the morning turning some of our scavenged waste wood into stove-sized firewood. OH headed off to buy further fireplace paraphernalia: poker, brush, pan, tongs. Then I harvested the only decent pear on our tree by activating our extendable fruit picker tool. It's an impressive piece of kit: you can reach almost 5 metres from the ground.

Had an afternoon snooze on the sofa, then hit the kitchen to turn our allotment produce into more lunchtime quiches -- 2 trays of allotment broccoli-walnut-blue cheese quiches followed by a quiche tray each of allotment courgette with allotment onion and allotment oregano, one with further dill, the other one with garlic.

Discovered while I was rummaging through the fridge that the inside of the fridge didn't feel cold. Alerted OH: what's going on here? OH put a thermometer on a fridge shelf: I'd been right. A balmy 15 degrees, only about 5 degrees less than the rest of the house. And there was a lake of frozen water at the bottom of the freezer below. Something had gone terribly wrong.

OH researched the potential fault on the internet and promised to alert The Engineer the very next day. The Engineer is an inspired, independent allrounder who once repaired our 14-year-old washing machine for next to no money. Maybe he can do his magic again although I don't hold out much hope. I felt really annoyed -- that fridge-freezer is less than 7 years old. When OH came into the kitchen next, I pointed accusingly at the fridge-freezer's "Made in Britain" label as if this was somehow OH's fault. This would NOT have happened with a German quality product, I said.

OH retorted that it had been me who hadn't wanted to pay German-quality premium prices at the time of purchase. I find that hard to believe, having pushed through a German make on our dishwasher, but as I can't remember after all these years, and it's absolutely possible that I was a) in a penny-pinching frame of mind then or b) seized by an attack of proxy patriotism (which last got me when we bought a British-made stove), I shut up. For now.

Concentrate on something nice:

* the last quiche has almost finished baking
* next-door neighbour P popped round to say his mum was back from her holiday and was ready to let us harvest her apples

No comments:

Post a Comment