Pages

Saturday, 31 January 2015

Customise this!

I've gone a bit hogwild recently at Woolovers and Primark on the old below-£10 miniskirt with upwards of £20-cashmere jumper combination. Primark are selling a great black and white little tapestry number at the moment, for £3 a piece, but I'm bang between sizes. So I bought both. On a slim day, I can fit into the smaller size, but it's tight. But the next upper one is about 4 inches too wide. It must be taken in. I spent today's Sewing Club learning how to make a blind zipper and then I took in my new skirt. Worked alright, I think. Very pleased with the outcome. Photos to follow. My next project is taking in a beautiful Monsoon dress that is now two sizes too large.

The Sewing Club has become a very dear habit that I didn't even drop on a day like today when I've lost one of our cats. It was a little strange sitting at my sewing machine today, always a little too close to tears, thinking of Mr Tubby in his box in the living room waiting to be buried, and hoping his rigor mortis would have passed by the time I got home so that we'd fit all his legs in comfortably. On a day like this it was soothing to just tune into colleagues' chatter to get some perspective, of little girls' dresses that looked like tents, hair going grey at 19, 50-year-old hair dyed anew and looking great, coming back from breast cancer, making a velvet draught excluder, making underwear from scratch, getting a GP appointment for a fallen and injured neighbour, the best way to wind a bobbin, planning our outing to a craft fair. This is to the women of my Saturday sewing club.

No comments:

Post a Comment