On Christmas Day, I
continue with my funky multi-ringed lampshade with hundreds of
self-cut oval chips made out of plastic 2-litre soft drink bottles.
The chips have a hole drilled at the top and the bottom and are
threaded together with thin wire loops. I work in the “Poolhouse”
where the chandelier is hanging from a rope strung across the
ceiling. It is cold but the gas heater does its job very well. I have
been working on this for months but am nearly done now. I've probably
cut enough chips but will need to do a bit more drilling. I've only
got the last ring to do and then the central contraption that will
end up hanging from the cable.
I also got back into
printerwire weaving. This is a hobby I've picked up more or less by
accident when I was about to throw out some IT detritus. I'd already
made rings out of keyboard letters (preferred keys: “Pause/Break”,
“Ctrl”, “Home”, and, for the more risqué Saturday night out:
“Enter”) and out of sawn-out bits of motherboard. But I could
never imagine what to do with leftover printer cabling until I cut
off the ends one day to see whether I could use them as an
alternative for bag clasps. And I discovered the most amazing
rainbow-coloured bouquet of coated wires inside the boring grey
rubber.
I've made a few
coasters, and today I made a rectangular mat thing on my hand frame
loom. Most of it got done while we minded next-door's giant rabbits:
It's not big enough for
a plate and cutlery but enough for a mug and a spoon.
In the evening, I teach
myself how to create a very basic computer game. I download a games
development programme called GameMaker. There's a full version for a
fee but for now the free practice one will do. I've got a couple of
games ideas but can't code to save my life. I like to think I could
learn – it can't be that difficult – but I don't have the time or
patience, and if there's a simpler
way, I'll take it.
I follow GameMaker's
excellent tutorial on how to put together a simple
click-on-perpetually-bouncing-items-to-score game and add a few
bouncing grenades into the mix. Halfway through the tutorial, I go
totally off the reservation -- think Tackleberry on the shooting range -- when I find out that I can use my own
image and sound files. I'll stick with the bouncing fruit salad of
apples, bananas and cherries for now but I am replacing the
tutorial-supplied ditty with a MIDI of ABBA's 'Waterloo' that now
plays throughout the game. I also find an extensive wav file library
online and every time I now click on any of my fruit, I am greeted
with yowls of “Eek!”, “Oow!” and “Yeah!”. The apples get
a hearty belch wav.
This has great
potential.

No comments:
Post a Comment