OH returns from the
Christmas “plot shop” with two bags – one containing 4
parsnips, 7 carrots, 3 Bavarian radishes plus fresh parsley, and the
other bag contains two fat red cabbages. OH says the allotment was
superbusy – practically everyone was harvesting their Christmas
dinner. I can't get over just how productive this place is, that we can still get so much produce out of the ground.
Later on I slaughter
the first red cabbage, thinking it probably full of slugs by this point. But nothing. It's
pristine. It's without a doubt the nicest, cleanest, most appetising
red cabbage I have ever seen come out of the wild. Stripped of the
coarse outer leaf layer, the cut cabbage comes to about 1kg. Raw,
it's surprisingly peppery but also quite sweet. Actually, the
pepperiness explains the absence of slugs – they probably took one
bite and spontaneously combusted.
I'm using a recipe for
German Blaukraut that I've pulled online. This recipe calls for 2 bay
leaves (from the shrub next to the kitchen door), 2 onions (from the
allotment), 3 apples (still good from our September apple fest) plus
some juniper berries, cloves for spiking the onions and golden syrup.
It's all arranged in layers in the maslin pot with a glass of red and
a pint of water and lots of duck fat (out of the fridge) and set to
simmer. Meanwhile, I go upstairs with the rest of the wine and have a
bath.
OH joins me in the
newly installed double bath, a very pleasant interruption, and the
blaukraut will have to wait until tomorrow.
Later on, OH makes 2kg
of mussels in cider sauce, again with allotment onions, using up the
last of the smetana from the Russian shop. Our Christmas Eve meal is
utterly gorgeous. The only regret: our own cider isn't ready for
drinking just yet.
Half past eight –
we're digesting our delicious evening meal in the warm light of the
Christmas tree. Time to make Rote Gruetze with semolina pudding for
dessert. Rote Gruetze or Rødgrød is a Northern European compote that can be made out of any red berries or fruit. I'll use our homegrown redcurrants from the freezer.
OH tells me he'd seen
tracks of muntjac deer going neatly down the central path of our
allotment today. We don't have a fence so anyone can wander in.
Ironically, nothing had been eaten, which surprised me a little –
there are still shedloads of non-heading cauliflower, or kale, or
parsley, or tender new lettuces.
No comments:
Post a Comment