Pages

Thursday, 30 August 2012

Food update

Went on the allotment yesterday evening after work. Everything growing really quite well, despite the relative cold and overall lack of sunshine. I think the broad beans got caught by chocolate spot so I harvested them and pulled up the worst-affected ones. Wind quite high so must wait for quieter time to burn dodgy plant material.

OH dove into the raspberries and harvested a 750g punnet of fruit, which he managed to turn into an amazing jam before the Paralympic Opening Ceremony started. I snipped over the broccoli bed -- there's always a floret there for a tray of quiche. Also cut a carrier bag full of kale -- Tuscan and scarlet. Then I thought I should weed the cauliflowers -- and discovered that there actually were 7 heads, tiny, admittedly, but unmistakably cauliflower. Enough for pakoras? We'll see.

Tonight, I was not particularly hungry so blanched the kale, put it on a baking tray, drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled some curry powder on it. Then in the oven at gas mark 7, mixing it up occasionally until it's dry and crumbly. Serve in a bowl -- kale crisps, a savoury evening snack. Possibly the only way apart from Gruenkohl or quiche that I would eat my greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment