OH and I are still vaguely watching the pounds and they are nicely sliding off, slowly. We don't want to deny ourselves too much though and we do like our food. So we've been making a point of going out daily to get bits of shopping in rather than haul it all in once or twice a fortnight. It's all good exercise.
Whenever we go to one of the supermarkets, we make a beeline to the "roadkill counter" where all the near-use-by-date fresh stuff goes. OH particularly loves scoring good meat deals there and yesterday, he returned home with the triumphant news that he managed to get a kilo of casserole steak for £4. He cooked that up into a huge pot of chili, and that is going to keep us fed for the rest of the entire weekend. A big spoon of that plus doritos and cheese -- eat your own "points", Weight Watchers, why don't you.
OH also turned one of my previous nearly-free fish haul into a fantastic fish pie with which we entertained our other friends last Sunday lunch. My friend is thinking of changing professional direction and has been training as a psychotherapist for quite a few years and over the fish pie, she told us that she needs actual clients and case studies to write up and now it looks as if I will become one. She'll have a job deciding which personality type I am: narcissist (Woo! Yay! Attention! How fab!), histrionic (More attention, now, or else!) or depressive (Never enough attention *cries*).
How did I get from fish to histrionics? These two don't go together.
Hehe!
ReplyDeleteMy freezer is full to the brim with nearly-out-of-date meat, fish, bread etc and I plan to spend next week turning it all into meals to freeze :)
Well done on the sliding-off pounds! It's harder than some people make it look :)
H xx
Hi LMM!
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting! I have to remember to periodically churn through what's in the freezer. More than once I pull something out thinking "I'll have this for lunch today", only for it to look utterly disgusting once it's defrosted. And don't get me started on the Great Potato Soup Failure of 2011 that I tried to save by stirring in tablespoonfuls of curry powder. That gloopy horror is still sitting at the bottom of our freezer, waiting for a force-defrost (i.e. power cut).
Re. dropping the pounds. Well, the first stone is always the easiest and I've now managed the second, which took a lot longer. I'm aiming to drop 2 lbs a month, which means I can eat what I like, just not as much. I find it unfair that an hour of window shopping in town easily sheds a pound but two full days in the garden doing heavy overhead and upper body work for hours doesn't!