The neighbour's mum and her partner are barely back from their trip abroad and have graciously invited us to come over and harvest their apple trees.
It's a humid, warm late September Sunday, rather lovely actually, and we come away with a bootful of apples with two trees still to be done.
It's half past five when we arrive back at Casa Random, far too late to be doing any appling, so OH and I settle down in our Mediterranean corner with our cups of coffee to admire the early autumnal garden: four massive webs with garden cross spiders smack bang in the middle.
"Your hair is touching a web right now," OH says. I'm leaning into the conifer hedge.
"Has it got a spider in it?"
"Can't see one."
I shrug. I've currently got three spiders in the bedroom alone, one has hundreds of little ones, and OH's mum discovered a fat one on the sofa cushion last week during her visit, just before she sat down. Spiders are good. If you've got spiders in your house, chances are you won't have midges, mozzies, or cat fleas in it at the same time.
"Is it just me or am I hearing more crows recently?"
"It is just you," OH replies, "They've always been around."
"Jackdaw up there," I say, pointing vaguely at the tall acer on the neighbouring property. "They're cute. How do you tame them?"
A ring-necked turtle dove glides into our garden like a Boeing on approach and settles by the pond to have a drink.
"I'm just so pleased about the nuthatches," OH observes, apropos of nothing. Nuthatches have been spotted on the birdseed dispensers this year for the first time. I just thought it was an upside-down bluetit.
The coffee cups are empty and even our random conversation peters out. Tonight it's my turn to make dinner. I offer a Whatever's-in-the-fridge Quiche made out of 2 leftover gf sausages from last night, a recently opened packet of Bavarian cooked ham from Aldi, cream, eggs, mountains of cheese, herbs from the garden, plus homegrown carrot and broccoli, and OH is happy. He has spent most of this Sunday bottling over 30 units of our 2012 Cru Sureau, aka "Elderberry Port", and now he is waiting for the after-dinner occasion to try it properly.


No comments:
Post a Comment