Pages

Saturday, 6 August 2011

Early August harvest -- woo hoo!


Harvested: ca 2kg of accidental potatoes (potatoes from last year's grower, which had been left in the ground and sprouted), which OH turned into a lovely, creamy potato bake. Much waxier than the Duke of Yorks, and very, very nice. Loads left for lunch tomorrow.

Also: a pound of raspberries including some strawbs. Pureed them along with a banana and a half, then mixed with Turkish yoghurt – very yummy. Froze about half a pound of the puree.

Harvested more accidental poppyseed: after weighing, the total harvest now stands at 1kg, and there's still more poppy to harvest!

Broccoli well on – one is ready to harvest. Surprised the cauliflower made it – I'd written it off after the pigeon attack. It's still a bit small, and there's as yet no head, but it might come through a mild autumn.

The only disappointment so far: the butternut squash. I don't understand it – I'm always unlucky with these. A few years ago I tried to grow them: lots of green growth but none of the flowers would set fruit. This time, OH has tied them up, there were loads of flowers and when we left for our hols, there was at least one tiny butternut forming. When we came back, it had all yellowed and the butternut was gone. Lots more male flowers but no open females. Over at mine, where I'm practising three sisters, the beans pump nitrogen into the soil so the pumpkins creep around but no squash either. It can't be for want of pollinators either: I've studded the lottie with bee plants – oregano, mints, poppies, sunflowers, bergamots, borage, and they're absolutely heaving with all manner of beneficial insects. Right beside the butternuts that aren't, I've got the courgettes and halloween pumpkins throwing out ridiculous amounts of produce. No idea what's wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment