Went on a guided walk through a local wood today -- a different one from our usual playground. I was hoping for edible mushrooms -- naturally -- but the Wildlife Trust guy who led us through it said he'd not seen any boletes this year so that means I'm about eight ahead by now.
We chatted to the regulars and fixed up another coppicing outing for the coming week, ate a jacket potato cooked on an open fire and drank a hot Ribena. Then I was getting cold and so we set off again on our half-hour walk home. The walk lasted much longer because we took a detour via open grassland that we hadn't explored yet. Here we discovered a real treasure: a meal-sized hen-of-the-woods (Grifola frondosa, or Maitake) at the bottom of an oak tree.
We also found some what we think may be false chanterelles (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca, falsche Pfifferlinge):
And possibly, quite a few wood blewits (Lepista nuda, violetter Roetelritterling), which would be edible:
Then again, they could also be Cortinarious traganus or Cortinarius purpurascens, both of which are poisonous. Gilled mushrooms continue to be a no-no therefore, and I will only touch them with the proverbial (mini-)bargepole.
No comments:
Post a Comment