Pages

Sunday, 7 October 2012

Sunday scrumping

Drove out to our neighbour's Mum today to see how much windfall she had. Turns out her trees yielded over 5 bags of apples including what was still on the trees! That plus one whole bag of our own Egremont Russets plus another we scrumped from another neighbour's overhang plus another bag a colleague brought for me means we'll have quite a bit to scrat and juice next weekend.

Was glad I'd made some apple tray cake in advance so that I could bring her a slice or two in return.

I then nagged OH to take us out into the countryside so that we could scout the land. We did see a lot of fruit trees but they belonged to people's back gardens and OH was reluctant to stop anywhere and ask directly. I can be shy but can also be very direct when I think something is evidently going to waste, and I will think nothing of ringing someone's doorbell and offering them a deal -- say, our time and labour and our magic extendable apple picker, in exchange for a very reasonable four fifths of all apples collected.

OH however was probably worried that we were appearing desperate -- possibly true, since I was wearing one of my moth-eaten woollen wigwams ("Never mind that," I said to OH in the car, "we could always tell anyone who wants to know that we've got 5 degrees between us and are simply mad about apples. Or just mad."). So we didn't harvest any more apart from a handful of rosehips. But I did make a mental note of where those trees were. I want their apples. All I need is permission.



No comments:

Post a Comment