Just goes to show that it's often the little things that can absolutely make your day: OH and I went Lidl-shopping today and discovered that our branch now has an in-store bakery AND bakes German sourdough bread. I mean proper fresh crusty crunchy sourdough bread, a kilo loaf for £1.60. Two slices of decent Graubrot (grey bread) keep you going through a whole morning whereas that spongy white bread burns through my system inside half an hour.
I was so happy I bought 2 loaves, one for eating, one for freezing. Could not believe my luck. A decade and a half in the country and I have not once found a fresh loaf of sourdough bread that deserves the name, not once. I've settled for long-life imports, rye bread in cellophane, half-hearted "artisan" lumps of swollen yeast, macho Lithuanian malted sourdough with bits of grit and sand. I've even tried baking my own and failed.
But now I've found the holy grail of Graubrot in a modest Lidl branch. It's divine, it's sour, salty, juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside, it's all of these good things, and if this, with a generous layer of butter, was all I was allowed to eat for the rest of my life, I would not complain.
No comments:
Post a Comment