Picked up another skill today: I've learnt how to cut pamments with a disc cutter.
It's quite scary, given how easily this thing could slip and then slice through you before you even know what happened. I suppose if you work with these things every day, you lose your respect a little but I was so in awe that I wanted to wrap myself in chainmail before switching it on.
Once I got the hang of it though, the four pamments that needed cutting were done in minutes. All of them were, according to our neighbour P, majorly "on the huh", which means "wonky" where he grew up. But nobody will see this because they'll be buried in mortar. A little "ageing" of the edges with hammer and chisel and the newly cut pamments looked as good as old.
P came round ours as soon as I started my cutting in the garden, drawn by the infernal screeching, on a Sunday too, that the disc cutter, his disc cutter, was emitting. I didn't hear a thing in my safety regulation ear muffs.
No comments:
Post a Comment