Pages

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Roadside finds

I'm a sucker for roadside sales. Someone put a van in a layby and a sign out front and I'll stop and look. If you sold unsalted nettle soft cheese or home-brewed plum beer or a quiche made with dandelion leaves and flowers, I'd probably pay whatever you ask, just because I'd be so impressed.

And thus it came that today I allowed myself to be totally suckered in by the Polish van man's egg offer of 30 for £3, which is fantastic and not even bested by our corner shop, but I failed to realise that £5 for 2 fistfuls of asparagus, no matter how fat, local and fresh, was a complete and utter rip-off.

Then again, a big part of me, see above, is prepared to pay a premium for someone to take the business risk and park in a windy layby hoping for customers. Not something you could ever say about Tesco's these days.

Now, what on earth am I going to do with 30 eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment