Pages

Saturday, 30 June 2012

Living like kings -- the June edition

My first brick-laying job ever. Took me two days because the concrete wasn't level and the pamments were all wonky, and of different thickness and sizes. The rest will need to be cut using a disc cutter, and that's another skill I'll need to pick up from OH.









OH and I spent today on the allotment weeding and slowly planting out the last of the seedlings. OH dug over another two (!) beds and planted out the last of the Japanese squashes. I still had about 25 leeks to plant out and stuffed these in various gaps in the beds. The spinach "Matador" had bolted before it got going properly so I raided all of it for tonight's dinner, thus freeing up space for more leeks.

Everything else is growing reasonably well, despite the dodgy weather, and the strawberries have given us a bumper crop this year: 1.5 kilograms in one harvest, and more are to come. 

A very productive afternoon: OH has harvested armfuls of apple mint and has boiled them up into a delicious mint syrup, which goes well with tonic water. I feel the need to compete and counter with a scented herbal back rub to help OH's seized-up muscles, made of ginger, chamomile and bay leaves steeped in a mixture of hot olive oil, beeswax from a Cambridge allotment and cocoa butter.

OH retires into the bathtub to un-seize his back and I make tonight's Live-like-kings special:

* spinach quiche (with spinach and oregano from the plot)
* our first new potatoes of the year -- fab!
* our dessert: vanilla quark creme over our homegrown strawberries, with lemon balm tips from the garden and a dusting of ground mace
* OH's turbo cider







No comments:

Post a Comment