This year, however, I'm unlucky with the runner
beans. Last year, they gave me no hassle at all -- plopped them in a
growth medium, up they went, then into the plot and up and round the
stakes. This year, the first batch rotted. The second batch, it
seems, was chewed up by slugs and snails in the greenhouse. I'll have
another, final go with a new seed packet but if that doesn't come off
either, I'll give in and send a Help! email to our local freegle
network and will also post something on the allotment pinboard. This
help request will also include a call for spare tomato seedlings
because there's not even a peep from our usual "accidentals"
in our home-compost-enriched garden soil right now. Even the
greenhouse tomatoes are refusing to sprout. Not surprising: tomatoes
need 13 degrees to germinate, and we've had about 6 degrees last
night and are looking at 3 degrees tonight. Brrrrrr... Miss
having weekend breakfasts outside on the patio.
On the plus side, I am now in possession of a
majorly funky 1970s style bright orange vase the shape of a curling
rock. It was given to me by a friend who was trying to get shot of
her surplus of shelf ornaments. It now sits on our mantlepiece with a
twig of lilac flowers sticking out of it. Thank Heaven for lilac --
it's even stronger than the pong from some of the downloads that the
cats leave in the litter tray.
Weather permitting, I'll take myself off to the
lottie later on to sow some more carrots and flowers and weed the
strawberry bed. I'm minded to risk planting out the cabbage seedlings
under a fleece -- it would free up space on the patio.
On the homebrew front, things are fermenting
nicely. OH has expanded his library by acquiring the bible of
home-brewing, the classic "First Steps in Winemaking" by
the aptly-named CJJ Berry. OH's eyes go shiny at the prospect of
making "parsnip sherry", "sugar beet wine",
"pea-pod wine" or "sparkling mead", the latter
requiring a mere 1.5 kg of honey. I'm glad he's started clearing out
the spare room because we're running out of demijohn space under the
stairs. If the cheapcycle guy who was offering a 25-litre brew barrel
for a fiver doesn't get back to us, OH could use the containers from
his previous hobby, fish-keeping.
No comments:
Post a Comment